Family Drop-in Programs
The City of Vancouver Proclaimed October 2022 as Family Place Day city wide.
The Family Drop-in program, our CORE program, is a parent-child interactive program for families with children 0-5. We provide support for families and caregivers and their children and are committed to fostering a healthy family and community life. It is grounded in the belief that positive parenting practices and healthy parent/child relationships are fundamental factors of a child development. This program is play-based learning using creative play and child-focused activities.
What to expect at a family drop-in:
- A child friendly environment with a wide variety of activities such as arts and crafts, puzzles, dramatic play, books, games.
- Daily circle time with reading and singing.
- Dental and vision check up for children
- Outdoor gated play area and access to a park nearby.
- Information on community resources and referral for adults
- Parent support and family counselling
- Multicultural events celebration for families
- Parenting skills workshops
South Vancouver Family Place strives to ensure we take the necessary precautions to keep our families and children we serve safe and healthy. We will be adopting the health and safety protocols to flatten COVID-19 curve.
How To Register for Family Drop-In
- All Families must complete the SVFP Participant Registration Form: online form (click here). If you need assistance with the online form, please ask the drop-in staff.
- Pay the annual $20 fee in person (you can bring your payment when you come to the Drop-in.
We operate Family Drop-In programs in two locations:
1. South Vancouver Family Drop-InSouth Vancouver Family Place Drop-in started in 1975. SVFP has been running the family drop-in program for over 45 years with funding from MCFD, City of Vancouver, Gaming, and donations from individuals and support from various community partners.
Location: 7710 Nanaimo Street Vancouver, BC, V5P 4Y2
(Corner of 61st and Nanaimo Street)
Family Drop-in Schedule:family Drop-in Hours and Schedule (1)
Mondays: Office and registered Parent Education programs only, no Family Drop-in.
2. Fraser Lands Family Drop-In at RIVER DISTRICT
Fraser Lands Family Drop-in opened in 2011 at the River District with initial funding from the United Way. It is operated by SVFP with funding from BC Gaming, City of Vancouver and Prospera Credit Union.
Fraserlands Outdoor Program: meets at the base of Kerr Street at the Pier area.
What Families say about our programs:
“I am so glad I found you. I wish I had known about you when I had my first child.” (Mom of 2 children)
“I don’t stress out so much about my baby anymore now that I can come here and talk to the other parents and staff about my concerns. It’s a relief to keep hearing that my baby is
“I can ask you guys about anything!”
“Thank you for being open until 2 pm somedays. It is a nice to have a quieter time to bring my child.
“My granddaughter has always loved your morning drop-in program, and really loves that she is in your preschool now.
“I am so glad that you are open until 2pm in the afternoon a couple of days a week, so she can do both.”
“Wow! I never imagined my child could do that! (a mom watching her child cutting the fruit during the morning food group)