October 1, 2020 Update:
Family Drop-in at Nanaimo Street location is now open Tuesdays to Fridays from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 noon.
Families are limited to 10 families per pod, and assigned by EVA email@example.com.
Fraserlands Family drop-in at River District will re-start August 4th. It will be an outdoor program Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Families are limited to 10 . ANN, firstname.lastname@example.org will assign your POD/ spot .Choose one pod [Tue, Wed, or Thurs] per week.
New Service Delivery Model
South Vancouver Family Place strives to ensure we take the necessary precautions to keep our families and children we serve safe and healthy. We will be adopting the following steps of health and safety protocols to curve the pandemic of COVID-19.
- All Families must complete the SVFP ( click the link) Participant Registration Form online and pay the annual $10 fee in person (you can bring your payment when you come to the Drop-in).
- Choose one location: Family Place Nanaimo Street location or Fraserlands River District location. You can also submit the Participant Registration form and pay in person with a staff. You can ask a staff to assist you with the online form.
- Families will be contacted by email and assigned their POD/schedule by EVA email@example.com or by phone 604 325 5213; or by ANN firstname.lastname@example.org for Fraserlands drop-in at River District
- Participants and staff are required to wear a face mask indoors (children are not required to wear facemask). Outdoors is optional with physical distancing.
- We will be limiting in person contact at our locations to 10 families each day
- Family Place at Nanaimo location is open for 4 days per week with new schedules to allow staff time to sanitize the facility .
- Fraserlands Family Drop-in at River District location is open 3 mornings for an Outdoor Program with new schedules until the the River District Center is open.
- Observe physical distancing for adults and limit contact to your pods.
- We will be using the outdoor play area at this time except when it rains.
- Families must be washing hands and their children’s hands on a regular basis.
- Sanitation stations will be on site and instructions will be in place.
We are excited to have you all back. We miss your smiles, laughter and the joy you all bring to South Vancouver Family Place. Together we can fight to keep safe from COVID-19.
Julio Bello – Executive Director
Family Drop-in Programs
South Vancouver Family Place Society (SVFP) core program is the Family Drop-in program. The Drop-in program is a parent-child interactive program for families with children 0-5. We provide support for families and caregivers and their children and are committed to fostering a healthy family and community life. It is grounded in the belief that positive parenting practices and healthy parent/child relationships are fundamental factors of a child development. This program is play-based learning using creative play and child-focused activities. The program is open to parents/caregivers with children 0 to 5 years old.
We operate family drop -in programs in two locations:
- South Vancouver Family Drop-in , Main location is on 7710 Nanaimo Street
- Fraserlands Family Drop-in, located on River District Neighbourhood Centre , 8683 Kerr Street
South Vancouver Family Place Drop-in started in 1975. It is the main Family Place center and also where the main office is located. SVFP has been running the family drop-in program for over 43 years with funding from MCFD, City of Vancouver, Gaming, and donations from individuals and support from various community partners.
Fraserlands Family Drop-in opened in 2011 at the River District with initial funding from the United Way. Wesgroup Development presently provides the facilities with funding from the City of Vancouver, Westminster Savings Foundation and Prospera Credit Union donations from
What to expect at a family drop-in:
- A child friendly environment with a wide variety of activities such as arts and crafts, puzzles, dramatic play, books, games.
- Daily circle time with reading and singing.
- Dental and vision check up for children
- Outdoor gated play area and access to a park nearby.
- Information on community resources and referral for adults
- Parent support and family counselling
- Multicultural events celebration for families
- Parenting skills workshops
- Lounge area for adults
- Coffee, tea and snacks
1. South Vancouver Family Drop-In
Families are limited to 10 families per pod, so please book your spot with email@example.com.
7710 Nanaimo Street
(Corner of 61st and Nanaimo Street)
Days and Hours Open
Mondays: Office and registered Parent Education programs only
“New Normal schedule” To allow staff enough time to sanitize the facility and equipment and toys, we have changed the hours for drop-in:
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Wednesdays and Fridays: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
2. Fraserlands Family Drop-In at RIVER DISTRICT
Fraserlands Family drop-in at River District will re-start August 4th. It will be an outdoor program Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Contact person: Ann with firstname.lastname@example.org. Choose one pod [Tue, Wed, or Thurs] per week.
Fraserlands Drop-in Summer Adventure schedule of Activities August /September2020
Meeting Area for Fraserlands in covered shelter at Riverfront Park by the Yellow Playground and Washrooms!
River District Neighbourhood Centre
8683 Kerr Street
Days and Hours open
Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays:
August,2020 hours 10:00 am to 11:30 noon
August 4, 2020
As of August 4, 2020, SVFP will suspend ZOOM ” circle time” programs (except Parenting Wellness” ), until further review.
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, our programs are modified and services are served online and via social media. You can check us on facebook too.
Tuesday to Fridays (month of April 2020 until end of July 2020)
South Vancouver Family Place will run “Zoom” , a conferencing software to provide circle time, parenting groups and workshops.
We are really excited and looking forward to providing a valuable experience for you and your family.
Tips and guidelines for the best Zoom experience for all participants.
Install the zoom app on your device. Laptop, smartphones and tablets with cameras all work. For download instructions: https://www.bates.edu/
helpdesk/2020/03/23/how-to- zoom-downloading-and- installing-the-zoom- application-prior-to-your- first-zoom-meeting/
The meetings will open 10:15 minutes before the scheduled start time of 10:30
Please log on early to ensure that you are well set up.
Make sure your speakers are on (or else you won’t hear us).
Choose your preferred view. on the top right hand corner of your screen you can toggle between speaker view (the facilitator is front and center) or gallery view.
When circle time is happening make sure your microphone is on mute, that way the participants are hearing the facilitator, not you. (Microphone mute option is in the bottom left hand corner of your screen and the host will mute you upon entry.)
Have your video camera on. The facilitators at family place would love to see you and this also helps us keep out people who do not have children.
Use reactions to engage with facilitators. We love to see smiling faces, thumbs up, your best dance move and any other encouraging gestures.
Use the chat feature to communicate with the other participants and the host. We love to see your requests.
No screenshots please. Many participants do not want their picture taken.
Note: If you want to participate . contact email@example.com . For Privacy, we will not post the Zoom link.
Feedback from our online zoom programs”
” South Vancouver Family Place social support chat online via zoom was a great experience today. There was laughter, ideas and awareness to issues happening in our community. You will only experience kindness and support.Of course we physically miss being at SVFP but, this online opportunity is a tiny window back in time when we gathered around the kitchen and waited for the coffee pot to brew while SVFP staff and volunteers greeted you with a warm smile.Missing the smiles?Join one of the SVFP online programs, its it’s free and a fun experience. : ) Thank you to SVFP for this opportunity to connect : ) “[sent by Mandeesh.A.]
What Families say about our programs:
“I am so glad I found you. I wish I had known about you when I had my first child.” (Mom of 2 children)
“I don’t stress out so much about my baby anymore now that I can come here and talk to the other parents and staff about my concerns. It’s a relief to keep hearing that my baby is
“I can ask you guys about anything!”
“Thank you for being open until 2 pm somedays. It is a nice to have a quieter time to bring my child.
“My granddaughter has always loved your morning drop-in program, and really loves that she is in your preschool now.
“I am so glad that you are open until 2pm in the afternoon a couple of days a week, so she can do both.”
“Wow! I never imagined my child could do that! (a mom watching her child cutting the fruit during the morning food group)